Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Dog Basics

+2
Freedom Forever
Darth Cheney
6 posters

Go down

Hot Dog Basics Empty Hot Dog Basics

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Lately my OCD has turned towards cooking the perfect hotdog.  I personally like Beef Ball Park franks but am anxious to re-try other brands (Nathans, etc.). Anywho...this is by boiling (Midwestern favorite) but would work grilling providing you cook on low heat up to the desired temperature.

Drum roll please while I reveal one of life's most perplexing issues...

Only cook to an internal temp from 160 to 180 degrees...don't boil or allow your water temperature to exceed the 180 degrees or you could get uneven cooking through the dog (sous vide style).! I prefer 180 degrees internal temperature.  Hot Dog Basics 650224726 

Very tasty when not over cooked and like to use re-hydrated dehydrated onions for topping with mustard and ketchup.

You will thank me!  Hot Dog Basics 1568139073
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Hot Dog Basics Empty Re: Hot Dog Basics

Post  Freedom Forever Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Good to know, I'm sure I've over cooked them in the past. Over cooking seem to be a mistake a lot of people make. Especial with pork.

Made my first batch of cabbage rolls this wk end. YUM!
Freedom Forever
Freedom Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Freedom Forever wrote:Good to know, I'm sure I've over cooked them in the past.  Over cooking seem to be a mistake a lot of people make. Especial with pork.

Made my first batch of cabbage rolls this wk end.  YUM!  
Cabbage today...Dutch Oven tonight.  Make sure you pull the covers over your head good and tight.  affraid
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  sodaknomad Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:Lately my OCD has turned towards cooking the perfect hotdog.  I personally like Beef Ball Park franks but am anxious to re-try other brands (Nathans, etc.). Anywho...this is by boiling (Midwestern favorite) but would work grilling providing you cook on low heat up to the desired temperature.

Only cook to an internal temp from 160 to 180 degrees...don't boil or allow your water temperature to exceed the 180 degrees or you could get uneven cooking through the dog (sous vide style).! I prefer 180 degrees internal temperature.  Hot Dog Basics 650224726 

Very tasty when not over cooked and like to use re-hydrated dehydrated onions for topping with mustard and ketchup.

I tend to favor Hebrew Narional or Ballpark. The sole condement I favor is cole slaw. Sorry, but ketchup, mustard and vinegar never enter my abode.
sodaknomad
sodaknomad

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:Lately my OCD has turned towards cooking the perfect hotdog.  I personally like Beef Ball Park franks but am anxious to re-try other brands (Nathans, etc.). Anywho...this is by boiling (Midwestern favorite) but would work grilling providing you cook on low heat up to the desired temperature.

No catsup/ketchup. Never ever. Bad Darth, Bad. Best dog I ever ate were the ones bought from the carts by the Quads at UC in Chicago. Steamed in beer with mustard, pickles, a dash of celery salt and sport peppers if you wanted heat. Catsup/ketchup wasn't even offered.  cheers 
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Shortie's Ex Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Do you recommend to have an immersion circulator ?

Should the dogs be sealed in a bag ?

I'm more partial to the tuna hot dog, or to sushi, but your method gets me thinking.
Shortie's Ex
Shortie's Ex

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Shortie's Lover wrote:Do you recommend to have an immersion circulator ?

I'm more partial to the tuna hot dog, or to sushi, but your method gets me thinking.
I just heat the water up to 180 degrees and let the dogs swim for 10 minutes or so then reheat water again to 180 and allow 5 more minutes of swim time.  Internal temp of dogs will be close to 180 at that point. I do have an excellent thermometer (Thermapen) I use for cooking everything.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Forever Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
Freedom Forever wrote:Good to know, I'm sure I've over cooked them in the past.  Over cooking seem to be a mistake a lot of people make. Especial with pork.

Made my first batch of cabbage rolls this wk end.  YUM!  
Cabbage today...Dutch Oven tonight.  Make sure you pull the covers over your head good and tight.  affraid

Poor Mrs Cheney.  lol! 
Freedom Forever
Freedom Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Forever Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Shortie's Lover wrote:Do you recommend to have an immersion circulator ?

Tuna? Hotdogs? what's going on here?  Embarassed 
Freedom Forever
Freedom Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

I like the chipotle venison brats I made this year.

Added some pepper jack cheese to the mix before stuffing them.... Wink 
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum