Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Friday in the Beer World

+2
Darth Cheney
Gomezz Adddams
6 posters

Go down

Black Friday in the Beer World Empty Black Friday in the Beer World

Post  Gomezz Adddams Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Out and about chasing down the ellusive Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that was released today. Cask aged in bourbon barrels with a 13.8% ABV. drunken drunken Found two bottles is all at $7@. My daughter's boyfriend got two as well. Nowhere as fruitful as last year when I blundered into two 4-paks. Sighhh. JL beers might still have some 2013 on tap. 5oz snifter for $7. affraid
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Black Friday in the Beer World Empty Re: Black Friday in the Beer World

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:Out and about chasing down the ellusive Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that was released today. Cask aged in bourbon barrels with a 13.8% ABV. drunken drunken Found two bottles is all at $7@. My daughter's boyfriend got two as well. Nowhere as fruitful as last year when I blundered into two 4-paks. Sighhh. JL beers might still have some 2013 on tap. 5oz snifter for $7. affraid

I would rather drink Schlitz and that is nasty stuff. But in all fairness...whatever floats you boat.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
Gomezz Adddams wrote:Out and about chasing down the ellusive Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that was released today. Cask aged in bourbon barrels with a 13.8% ABV. drunken drunken Found two bottles is all at $7@. My daughter's boyfriend got two as well. Nowhere as fruitful as last year when I blundered into two 4-paks. Sighhh. JL beers might still have some 2013 on tap. 5oz snifter for $7. affraid

I would rather drink Schlitz and that is nasty stuff. But in all fairness...whatever floats you boat.

Actually the current Schlitz doesn't taste all the bad.  Well at least compared to the disaster they used to sell in the 70's/80's.  But Schlitz beer should really be called SINO beer as it is Schlitz in name only as the Schlitz Beer Company is history and the brand is owned by somebody else.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Now I just got to find some Bourbon County Barleywine which is supposed to be released this coming Fri. Aged in the same casks that the Bourbon County Stout came out of.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Jammer wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

Actually the current Schlitz doesn't taste all the bad.  Well at least compared to the disaster they used to sell in the 70's/80's.  But Schlitz beer should really be called SINO beer as it is Schlitz in name only as the Schlitz Beer Company is history and the brand is owned by somebody else.

My mom drank it in the 70's...nasty stuff!!!!
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
Jammer wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

I forget the details of the story, but it was something along the lines of somebody started tinkering with the formula to save money.  Anyhow, they ended up with all kinds of problems and Schlitz went from something like number 2 behind Budweiser down to nothing.  Supposedly what is sold today is absent all of the manufacturing/brewing stupidity that happened. But Schlitz the company is "gone".
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Jammer wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
Jammer wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

I forget the details of the story, but it was something along the lines of somebody started tinkering with the formula to save money.  Anyhow, they ended up with all kinds of problems and Schlitz went from something like number 2 behind Budweiser down to nothing.  Supposedly what is sold today is absent all of the manufacturing/brewing stupidity that happened.  But Schlitz the company is "gone".

According to Wikipedia the problems of the taste:
By 1967 the company's president and chairman was August Uihlein's grandson, Robert Uihlein, Jr.[7] Faced with a desire to meet large volume demands while also cutting the cost of production, the brewing process for Schlitz's flagship Schlitz beer was changed in the early 1970s. The primary changes involved using corn syrup to replace some of the malted barley, adding a silica gel to prevent the product from forming a haze,[7] using high-temperature fermentation instead of the traditional method, and also substituted less-expensive extracts rather than traditional ingredients.[12] Schlitz also experimented with continuous fermentation,[13] even designing and building a new brewery around the process in Baldwinsville, New York. The reformulated product resulted in a beer that not only lost much of the flavor and consistency of the traditional formula but spoiled more quickly, rapidly losing public appeal.

Then fast forward to now:
In 1999 Pabst Brewing Company gained control of the Schlitz brand with its acquisition of the Stroh Brewery Company.[5]

During the reformulating period of the early 1970s, the original Schlitz beer formula was lost and never included in any of the subsequent sales of the company.[4] Through research of documents and interviews with former Schlitz brewmasters and taste-testers, Pabst was able to reconstruct the 1960s classic formula. The new Schlitz beer, along with a new television advertising campaign, was officially introduced in 2008.[15] The first markets for relaunching included Chicago, Florida, Boston, Minneapolis-Saint Paul and Schlitz's former headquarters, Milwaukee.[16] The 1960s classic "gusto" version of Schlitz currently enjoys an almost nation-wide distribution in the United States.[citation needed] The classic 1960s theme was also reflected when 1968 Playboy magazine playmate Cynthia Myers became a spokeswoman for Schlitz beer in 2009.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schlitz_Brewing_Company
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinkies Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:

I knew there was a lot of things wrong with you. You confirmed it again.
Twinkies
Twinkies

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Twinkies wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

I knew there was a lot of things wrong with you. You confirmed it again.

Although I never needed any confirmation from you...thank you!
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  nightlight88 Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 am

Darth Cheney wrote:

OMG, I almost forgot about Schlitz beer.

You are correct, it was nasty stuff, but cheap and available for teenagers. LOL
nightlight88
nightlight88

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Scored a bottle (750ml) of Surly Darkness yesterday. Like the Bourbon county Stout, Darkness is a Russian Imperial stout aged in bourbon casks clocking in at 10.3% ABV. The reviews sound awesome and lip smacking good. I can hardly wait to crack this bottle.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down