Inauguration Day

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:57 am

Pence takes oath. One down one to go.
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am

Done and done.
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 am

A sex offender, a con artist, and a fascist dictator walked into a bar, and the bartender said "What'll it be Mr. President?"

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:35 am

"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people." - President Donald Trump


avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:40 am

Gomezz Adddams wrote:"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people." - President Donald Trump



So is he resigning then?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 am

"The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country.

Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's Capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land.

That all changes – starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you.
It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America.

This is your day. This is your celebration.

And this, the United States of America, is your country."

President Donald Trump

avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 am

Dr. Evil wrote:
Gomezz Adddams wrote:"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people." - President Donald Trump



So is he resigning then?

Still haven't found your Big Boy Pants™ I see.
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Who is "the establishment"?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Skeptical on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 pm



For our liberal members who will lose their "Obama phones"

avatar
Skeptical

Posts : 2654
Join date : 2012-12-26
Location : Right here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Skeptical wrote:

For our liberal members who will lose their "Obama phones"


You mean Reagan phones?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:Who is "the establishment"?

I would take it to mean the Washington elite, both parties.
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:
Dr. Evil wrote:Who is "the establishment"?

I would take it to mean the Washington elite, both parties.

Who? What's the criteria?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

"For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost.

Washington flourished – but the people did not share in its wealth.

Politicians prospered – but the jobs left, and the factories closed.

The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country."

President Donald Trump
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Skeptical on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 pm


Dr. Evil wrote: You mean Reagan phones?

Wow, I wasn't aware Reagan gave free phones to liberals .... by all means provide the link so we can all read of this gracious act by a Republican President
avatar
Skeptical

Posts : 2654
Join date : 2012-12-26
Location : Right here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 pm

From Dan Rather:

And so it begins.

Of the nearly 20 inaugurations I can remember, there has never been one that felt like today. Not even close. Never mind the question of the small size of the crowds, or the boycott by dozens of lawmakers, or even the protest marches slated for tomorrow across the country. Those are plays upon the stage. What is truly unprecedented in my mind is the sheer magnitude of quickening heartbeats in millions of Americans, a majority of our country if the polls are to be believed, that face today buffeted within and without by the simmering ache of dread.

I have never seen my country on an inauguration day so divided, so anxious, so fearful, so uncertain of its course.

I have never seen a transition so divisive with cabinet picks so encumbered by serious questions of qualifications and ethics.

I have never seen the specter of a foreign foe cast such a dark shadow over the workings of our democracy.

I have never seen an incoming president so preoccupied with responding to the understandable vagaries of dissent and seemingly unwilling to contend with the full weight and responsibilities of the most powerful job in the world.

I have never seen such a tangled web of conflicting interests.

Despite the pageantry of unity on display at the Capitol today, there is a piercing sense that we are entering a chapter in our nation's evolving story unlike one ever yet written. To be sure, there are millions of Donald Trump supporters who are euphoric with their candidate's rise. Other Trump voters have expressed reservations, having preferred his bluster to his rival's perceived shortcomings in the last election, but admitting more and more that they are not sure what kind of man they bestowed the keys to the presidency. The rest of America - the majority of voters - would not be - and indeed is not - hesitant in sharing its conclusions on the character and fitness of Donald Trump for the office he now holds.

The hope one hears from even some of Donald Trump's critics is that this moment might change him. Perhaps, as he stood there on a grey, drab, January day, reciting the solemn oath of office demanded by our Constitution, as he looked out across what Charles Dickens once called the "city of magnificent intentions", he would somehow grasp the importance of what he was undertaking. Perhaps he would understand that he must be the president of all the United States, in action as well as in word. Perhaps, but there has already been so much past that is prologue.

There is usually much fanfare around inaugural addresses. They are also usually forgotten - with some notable exceptions. I think today will be remembered, not so much for the rhetoric or the turns of phrase but for the man who delivered them and the era they usher us forth.

Mr. Trump's delivery was staccato and there was very little eye contact as he seemed to be reading carefully from a teleprompter. His words and tone were angry and defiant. He is still in campaign mode and nary a whiff of a unifying spirit. There was little or nothing of uplift - the rhetoric of Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, or Reagan. We heard a cavalcade of slogans and one liners, of huge promises to "bring back" an America - whatever that really means to many who look at our history and see progress in our current society.

The speech started with a message of an establishment in Washington earning riches on the back of struggling families across the country. It was an odd note, considering the background of many of his cabinet picks. President Trump painted a very dark picture of the current state of our nation, beset by gangs and drugs and violence, regardless of what the data shows. His words swelled with his economic populism and the nationalism of "America first." The applause was sparse, and I imagine many more being turned off, even sickened, rather than inspired by what our new President had to say. President Obama looked on with an opaque poker face. One could only imagine what he was thinking.

It bears remembering that one never can predict the arc of a presidency. It is an office that is far too often shaped by circumstance well beyond its occupant's control. Those challenges, wherever and however they may rise, now will fall on the desk of President Trump. We can only see what will happen. We hope, for the security and sanctity of our Republic, that Mr. Trump will respond to the challenges with circumspection and wisdom. Today's rhetoric was not reassuring.

Our democracy demands debate and dissent - fierce, sustained, and unflinching when necessary. I sense that tide is rising amongst an opposition eager to toss aside passivity for action. We are already seeing a more emboldened Democratic party than I have witnessed in ages. It is being fueled by a fervent energy bubbling from the grassroots up, rather than the top down.

These are the swirling currents about our ship of state. We now have a new and untested captain. His power is immense, but it is not bestowed from a divinity on high. It is derived, as the saying goes, from the consent of the governed. That means President Trump now works for us - all of us. And if he forgets that, it will be our duty to remind him.

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Evil wrote:  You mean Reagan phones?

Wow, I wasn't aware Reagan gave free phones to liberals .... by all means provide the link so we can all read of this gracious act by a Republican President

First you prove where Obama gave anybody free phones.

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 pm

This is a strange place to put this thread. This is an event that I'm told is supposed to be celebrated by all Americans. National News seems more fitting. To put it here seems a bit deligitimising. Am I sensing an underlying bit of uncertainty here?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:"For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost.

Washington flourished – but the people did not share in its wealth.

Politicians prospered – but the jobs left, and the factories closed.

The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country."

President Donald Trump

Who does he think is winning and losing in Washington?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Clicker on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Got a great new education on the bias in the press. Was watching the parade on Fox and was impressed by the comment on protesters and people holding signs etc. Generally one or two here and there. Nothing notable. Then the satellite did a rain fade and we had to go off air and watched ABCs coverage. The commentators were literally bouncing out of their chairs pointing out placards and signs etc. They showed the same ones several times while trying to hype the protesters. One in particular was chortling about how Trump wouldn't dare get out of the car near all those protesters etc. Trump did just that 3 times and the commentators were going crazy, like they expected violence. After about 10 min of that idiocy I changed to local off air Fox and returned to sanity. Fox was neutral and did report in a sane manner what was happening and not tryhing to creat images in our minds that didn't exist in reality.
avatar
Clicker

Posts : 924
Join date : 2012-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Clicker wrote:Got a great new education on the bias in the press.  Was watching the parade on Fox and was impressed by the  comment on protesters and people holding signs etc.  Generally one or two here and there.  Nothing notable.  Then the satellite did a rain fade and we had to go off air and watched ABCs coverage.  The commentators were literally bouncing out of their chairs pointing out placards and signs etc.  They showed the same ones several times while trying to hype the protesters.  One in particular was chortling about how Trump wouldn't dare get out of the car near all those protesters etc.  Trump did just that 3 times and the commentators were going crazy, like they expected violence.  After about 10 min of that idiocy I changed to local off air Fox and returned to sanity.  Fox was neutral and did report in a sane manner what was happening and not tryhing to creat images in our minds that didn't exist in reality.  

I'm confused. Was there, or wasn't there protesters?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Gomezz Adddams on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:
Clicker wrote:Got a great new education on the bias in the press.  Was watching the parade on Fox and was impressed by the  comment on protesters and people holding signs etc.  Generally one or two here and there.  Nothing notable.  Then the satellite did a rain fade and we had to go off air and watched ABCs coverage.  The commentators were literally bouncing out of their chairs pointing out placards and signs etc.  They showed the same ones several times while trying to hype the protesters.  One in particular was chortling about how Trump wouldn't dare get out of the car near all those protesters etc.  Trump did just that 3 times and the commentators were going crazy, like they expected violence.  After about 10 min of that idiocy I changed to local off air Fox and returned to sanity.  Fox was neutral and did report in a sane manner what was happening and not tryhing to creat images in our minds that didn't exist in reality.  

I'm confused. Was there, or wasn't there protesters?

There were but they all got arrested. Trump walk for a while several times. Dare any of the protestors to violate the security bubble around him. That would be fun to watch.
avatar
Gomezz Adddams

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2012-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Clicker wrote:Got a great new education on the bias in the press.  Was watching the parade on Fox and was impressed by the  comment on protesters and people holding signs etc.  Generally one or two here and there.  Nothing notable.  Then the satellite did a rain fade and we had to go off air and watched ABCs coverage.  The commentators were literally bouncing out of their chairs pointing out placards and signs etc.  They showed the same ones several times while trying to hype the protesters.  One in particular was chortling about how Trump wouldn't dare get out of the car near all those protesters etc.  Trump did just that 3 times and the commentators were going crazy, like they expected violence.  After about 10 min of that idiocy I changed to local off air Fox and returned to sanity.  Fox was neutral and did report in a sane manner what was happening and not tryhing to creat images in our minds that didn't exist in reality.  

I would say that everyone agrees the protestors in DC today made Democrats look very bad. Who would you say ABC was doing a disservice to if they were indeed covering the inaguration in the manner you're claiming they were?

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Clicker on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:
I would say that everyone agrees the protestors in DC today made Democrats look very bad. Who would you say ABC was doing a disservice to
Everyone, and in particular themselves. The purpose of bringing this up is to hilite the childish and moronic way the MSM reports this stuff.
avatar
Clicker

Posts : 924
Join date : 2012-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Dr. Evil on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Clicker wrote:
Dr. Evil wrote:
I would say that everyone agrees the protestors in DC today made Democrats look very bad. Who would you say ABC was doing a disservice to
Everyone, and in particular themselves.  The purpose of bringing this up is to hilite the childish and moronic way the MSM reports this stuff.

Really?? Cuz I thought you said they were trying to hype up the protesters? scratch scratch scratch

Dr. Evil

Posts : 3753
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Clicker on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:42 am

Dr. Evil wrote:
Clicker wrote:
Dr. Evil wrote:
I would say that everyone agrees the protestors in DC today made Democrats look very bad. Who would you say ABC was doing a disservice to
Everyone, and in particular themselves.  The purpose of bringing this up is to hilite the childish and moronic way the MSM reports this stuff.

Really?? Cuz I thought you said they were trying to hype up the protesters? scratch scratch scratch

Sorry, hype he protesters should read "create images in our minds that doesn't exist in reality."
avatar
Clicker

Posts : 924
Join date : 2012-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inauguration Day

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum