Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grilled Mahi Mahi

3 posters

Go down

Grilled Mahi Mahi Empty Grilled Mahi Mahi

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Had grilled mahi mahi on a cedar plank tonight. The plank is soaked in a pinot grigio wine, the fish covered with olive oil, thyme, rosemary and a lime pepper rub. Wow oh wow it is so good and good for you. Had a delicious mango salsa from Sam's on the side. Got the mahi mahi from the Meat Lodge on N Cliff. Excellent filets.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Grilled Mahi Mahi Empty Re: Grilled Mahi Mahi

Post  Darth Cheney Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:Had grilled mahi mahi on a cedar plank tonight. The plank is soaked in a pinot grigio wine, the fish covered with olive oil, thyme, rosemary and a lime pepper rub. Wow oh wow it is so good and good for you. Had a delicious mango salsa from Sam's on the side. Got the mahi mahi from the Meat Lodge on N Cliff. Excellent filets.

I kind of thought Mahi mahi was kin of tough like swordfish. I probably over cooked it to make sure it was dead. Isn't good food wonderful!
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
Gomezz Adddams wrote:Had grilled mahi mahi on a cedar plank tonight. The plank is soaked in a pinot grigio wine, the fish covered with olive oil, thyme, rosemary and a lime pepper rub. Wow oh wow it is so good and good for you. Had a delicious mango salsa from Sam's on the side. Got the mahi mahi from the Meat Lodge on N Cliff. Excellent filets.

I kind of thought Mahi mahi was kin of tough like swordfish. I probably over cooked it to make sure it was dead. Isn't good food wonderful!

Haven't made this in a while. I thought I hosed it because my meat thermometer is acting funky. I was supposed to cook to 137o but it jumped to 140o+ and the corn on the cob was still 5 min away from being done. The fish was excellent however, very moist and flaky. I think the cedar plank helped since the fish wasn't being grilled directly. cheers
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:18 am

Gomezz Adddams wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

Haven't made this in a while. I thought I hosed it because my meat thermometer is acting funky. I was supposed to cook to 137o but it jumped to 140o+ and the corn on the cob was still 5 min away from being done. The fish was excellent however, very moist and flaky. I think the cedar plank helped since the fish wasn't being grilled directly. cheers

I have and use a Thermapen thermometer...$80 but displays temp within a second...very nice. Cooking to temperature is everything.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:37 am

Darth Cheney wrote:
Gomezz Adddams wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:

I have and use a Thermapen thermometer...$80 but displays temp within a second...very nice. Cooking to temperature is everything.

Mine is a CDN 2 in 1 which has worked great until this season. It's not a thermocoupler like yours Sad but it gives gave me accurate readouts in about 5 seconds. It also has a remote oven/grill probe besides the jack knife style probe. Cost me about $25.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:41 am

Sounds like the same recipe we used to use on carp. However, I seemed to always overcook the cedar plank and had to throw it away with the carp.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 am

Jammer wrote:

Sounds like the same recipe we used to use on carp. However, I seemed to always overcook the cedar plank and had to throw it away with the carp.

A lot of times the cedar plank is sacrificial and only used once. I would love to eat some good carp. There is a place down in Omaha, Joe's Fish Market, or something like that that serves over 1,000 pounds every week and they get them alive. Every cookbook lists carp as one of the more delicate, flakey fishes. I would love to have one that makes me a believer.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
Jammer wrote:

A lot of times the cedar plank is sacrificial and only used once. I would love to eat some good carp. There is a place down in Omaha, Joe's Fish Market, or something like that that serves over 1,000 pounds every week and they get them alive. Every cookbook lists carp as one of the more delicate, flakey fishes. I would love to have one that makes me a believer.

I found the real trick in cooking a good meal of carp is to pick a tender piece of cedar plank and not overcook it. We would then throw away the carp and eat the cedar plank.

The only thing good about a meal of carp is that it makes you look forward to your next meal of bullheads.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Jammer wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
Jammer wrote:

I found the real trick in cooking a good meal of carp is to pick a tender piece of cedar plank and not overcook it. We would then throw away the carp and eat the cedar plank.

The only thing good about a meal of carp is that it makes you look forward to your next meal of bullheads.

Your analysis would be shared by 99.99% of Americans but I think we might be wrong based on every cookbook I have. The Omaha place scores the rib bones deep then deep fat fries the fish. The fryer essentially dissolves the side rib bones once fully cooked. Carp are huge and can be a riot to catch with a rod & reel or by bowfishing. Some of my best memories living along side the river was shooting carp with a bow and arrow. Head shot = lights out, tail shot = hold on to your shorts. Then you go and bad mouth bullheads in the same breath...tsk, tsk, tsk. In early spring bullheads are pretty good but this is based on a 30 year old memory. I have a feeling the way this economy is heading, bullheads and carp will only be reserved for the super wealthy or well armed.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Did the grilled mahi mahi tonight again but without the cedar plank. Just olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic and pepper. Excellent. Side dishes were roasted yellow dutch potatoes, grilled eggplant and sweet corn. The only saturated fat came from the oils and reduced fat sour cream. My cardiologist would be so proud.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:Did the grilled mahi mahi tonight again but without the cedar plank. Just olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic and pepper. Excellent. Side dishes were roasted yellow dutch potatoes, grilled eggplant and sweet corn. The only saturated fat came from the oils and reduced fat sour cream. My cardiologist would be so proud.
You ever grill your sweet corn? It really adds another dimension. I remove the husks and silk and place or some fairly hot coals. Rotate them around to char the sides then eat.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down