Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhoden announces

+5
BladeRunner
Jammer
Darth Cheney
sodaknomad
RedWhiteBlue
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rhoden announces Empty Rhoden announces

Post  RedWhiteBlue Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:13 pm

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/sd-state-sen-larry-rhoden-will-run-for-us-
"State Sen. Larry Rhoden, a longtime leader in the South Dakota Legislature, said Tuesday he will challenge former Gov. Mike Rounds for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate next year.
Rhoden has long been mentioned as a possible candidate by some Republicans who believe Rounds is not conservative enough on tax and spending issues.
"

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/sen-larry-rhoden-plans-to-run-for-us-senate/?
"South Dakota Senator Larry Rhoden plans to announce he's running for U.S. Senate. His announcement means former Governor Mike Rounds will have a challenger in next year's primary.  But he could have even more competition because two other potential candidates could be considering a run for the seat as well. If they announce, one political analyst says that could be good news for Rounds.

Rhoden made a name for himself during this past legislative session as he supported the sentinel bill that would allow school staff to carry guns.

But will Rhoden be shot down in his attempt to win the Republican Primary in the U.S. Senate race against Rounds, who right now is the leading candidate?

Rounds had raised $371,000 for his campaign as of March 31.  Duffy says it takes a lot of money to get that name recognition.  Plus, she adds if other candidates such as Dr. Annette Bosworth or State Representative Stace Nelson throw their hats into the race, it would be very tough to beat Rounds.
------- ----- ---- ----
Rhoden plans to make formal announcements on Wednesday in Sioux Falls and Rapid City."

Any Rhoden fans on this forum?
How about Bosworth or Nelson?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Rhoden announces Empty Re: Rhoden announces

Post  sodaknomad Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm a Mike liker. Whomever comes out of the fray will get a healthy chunk of Thune's war chest. That'll keep the dems off the ballot.
sodaknomad
sodaknomad

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:07 pm

sodaknomad wrote:I'm a Mike liker. Whomever comes out of the fray will get a healthy chunk of Thune's war chest. That'll keep the dems off the ballot.

Based on your posts here, I would have guessed that Rounds was much too liberal for you.
What specifically did you like about his accomplishments as Governor?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Rounds is much to liberal for me.  I also didn't appreciate him hiring all of his relatives and son in laws for important positions. I'll vote for anybody but...
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am

Darth Cheney wrote:Rounds is much to liberal for me.  I also didn't appreciate him hiring all of his relatives and son in laws for important positions. I'll vote for anybody but...

I absolutely agree with you Darth. However, it appears to me that a Rounds victory is inevitable. My opinion is that conservatives should choose their battles carefully and the South Dakota US Senate race in 2014 does not look like a battle we can win.

I understand that is difficult for conservatives to just concede such a prominent election. However, my personal opinion is that conservative resources could be spent much wiser in other areas. Spending huge amounts of political capital while ignoring other critical areas only to suffer a defeat that was inevitable does not seem like a prudent thing to do to me.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 am

Darth Cheney wrote:Rounds is much to liberal for me.  I also didn't appreciate him hiring all of his relatives and son in laws for important positions. I'll vote for anybody but...

He is not unlike the current governor who did the same thing. Don't they all?
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am

BladeRunner wrote:

They do but what is different is I refuse to support them unless they are about shrinking government and reducing regulations. I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils and if I am going to get a "bigger government, we will decide how you live your life" then I will vote for the liberal or not vote at all. For too long conservatives have had to settle for the lesser of two evils and our country has suffered.  Bring on the total collapse and Armageddon because that is the only thing that is going to change direction. Give me liberty or give me death...
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am

Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

They do but what is different is I refuse to support them unless they are about shrinking government and reducing regulations. I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils and if I am going to get a "bigger government, we will decide how you live your life" then I will vote for the liberal or not vote at all. For too long conservatives have had to settle for the lesser of two evils and our country has suffered.  Bring on the total collapse and Armageddon because that is the only thing that is going to change direction. Give me liberty or give me death...

Hence the reason Obama got reelected. Conservative voter turnout was low because there was more of a lack of enthusiasm for Romney than enthusiasm for getting rid of Obama.
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 am

BladeRunner wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

Hence the reason Obama got reelected. Conservative voter turnout was low because there was more of a lack of enthusiasm for Romney than enthusiasm for getting rid of Obama.

You are correct and that is disappointing to me.  While Romney was not near as conservative as I would have liked, he was light years ahead of the garbage occupying the White House now.  And while Romney would have probably disappointed conservatives on many social issues, I personally think he would have done a lot of good things on the fiscal/economic side.

Conservatives are great people, but we do have a few quirks.  One of them is what I refer to as the Earl Weaver theory of politics.  Conservatives sit back and wait for the 3 run home run.  They are not happy with singles, they want the whole enchilada at one time.

I personally think we need to change our thinking on this issue.  While I would like to go everywhere in one giant "all or nothing" leap, I think we would be well served to understand that a step in the right direction (regardless of how small the step) will eventually get us where we want to go.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Jammer wrote:

I absolutely agree with you Darth.  However, it appears to me that a Rounds victory is inevitable.   My opinion is that conservatives should choose their battles carefully and the South Dakota US Senate race in 2014 does not look like a battle we can win.

I understand that is difficult for conservatives to just concede such a prominent election.  However, my personal opinion is that conservative resources could be spent much wiser in other areas.   Spending huge amounts of political capital while ignoring other critical areas only to suffer a defeat that was inevitable does not seem like a prudent thing to do to me.

Good post.

"However, my personal opinion is that conservative resources could be spent much wiser in other areas." What other areas are you thinking of?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

"I refuse to support them unless they are about shrinking government and reducing regulations." Good Luck with that - in SD.
The last couple of Governors certainly did the opposite. Helped by the state legislature. More/bigger government and legislative control seems to have grown dramatically through recent administrations. I thought Daugaard's initial budget cuts were a good start, but he quickly (less than a year) totally reversed them and then increased spending.

Nobody would blame you for voting for a liberal candidate now. I do think there are some democrats (and some republicans) in the state legislature, who are trying to be more fiscally conservative. A big problem is that the republicans are pressured to follow along with the Governor's plans.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:34 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

"I refuse to support them unless they are about shrinking government and reducing regulations." Good Luck with that - in SD.
The last couple of Governors certainly did the opposite. Helped by the state legislature. More/bigger government and legislative control seems to have grown dramatically through recent administrations. I thought Daugaard's initial budget cuts were a good start, but he quickly (less than a year) totally reversed them and then increased spending.

Nobody would blame you for voting for a liberal candidate now. I do think there are some democrats (and some republicans) in the state legislature, who are trying to be more fiscally conservative. A big problem is that the republicans are pressured to follow along with the Governor's plans.

You're dreaming or delusional...there does not exist and democrat for reduced spending or governmental control. The democrat party has become the party of communists and totalitarians.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:36 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

I actually supported Romney and felt he was the right person to turn this economy around. However after recent years viewing governments control, I realize liberty has long been destroyed and we are living in a totalitarian style government. We are screwed and the tree of liberty is dying.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

I actually supported Romney and felt he was the right person to turn this economy around. However after recent years viewing governments control, I realize liberty has long been destroyed and we are living in a totalitarian style government. We are screwed and the tree of liberty is dying.

I agree with you. We are screwed. But sometimes its only possible to fix things in baby steps.
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

You're dreaming or delusional...there does not exist and democrat for reduced spending or governmental control. The democrat party has become the party of communists and totalitarians.

Take a look at the bill votes in the 2013 legislative session. It was overwhelmingly republican votes for the increased control, as well as the increased spending.
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2013/BillList.aspx

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:37 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

Take a look at the bill votes in the 2013 legislative session. It was overwhelmingly republican votes for the increased control, as well as the increased spending.
Just because most republicans suck doesn't mean democrats don't suck more.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

That really shoots a hole in your theory that:
".there does not exist and democrat for reduced spending or governmental control.", doesn't it.
Especially when you look at the high % of democrats who voted against that added spending and control.

Easy to see why you would vote for the liberal. I can't support either Rounds or Rhoden. Hopefully, a better candidate will emerge.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

".there does not exist and democrat for reduced spending or governmental control.", doesn't it.
Especially when you look at the high % of democrats who voted against that added spending and control.

Easy to see why you would vote for the liberal. I can't support either Rounds or Rhoden. Hopefully, a better candidate will emerge.
Maybe Pol Pot or Stalin will get in the race for you.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

Maybe Pol Pot or Stalin will get in the race for you.

Who are you supporting - at this point?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Doesn't matter at this point...I'll wait until the election gets closer and I know who the players are.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:19 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

Wow, just wow. You are beyond clueless. The Democrats voted against most of the spending bills because....wait for it.... they didn't include enough spending. State aid to education and state workers pay are the ones that I can quickly recall. Now go back to pretending you know something.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:22 pm

No pretending needed. Facts are right there for all to see.
Please look at the vast majority bills voted in by the republicans, Gomezz.
Enjoy.
Admittedly, SD republican legislators are far from the national norm. This has been an irritation to us fiscal conservatives for years. It seems to be getting worse. We are becoming even more of a 'welfare state'. The "control" legislation on individual freedoms is also escalating. You have at least noticed that, haven't you?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:08 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

You don't seem to realize that Democrats have only 5 seats (20%) in the Senate and 17 seats (24%) in the House. That is one reason why the votes are overwhelmingly Republican. Another is many of the bills are scheduled for the 41st day of the Legislature (the Legislature only meets for 40 days, which effectively kills the bill). And as I previously noted, many of the Democrats are voting against the bills because there is not enough spending in them.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Duh - really Gomezz? - A 4th grade civics lesson? lol
Did you skip my post entirely, or simply have no response? Thus the diversion?

Here you go:
"Facts are right there for all to see.
Please look at the vast majority bills voted in by the republicans, Gomezz.
Enjoy.
Admittedly, SD republican legislators are far from the national norm. This has been an irritation to us fiscal conservatives for years. It seems to be getting worse. We are becoming even more of a 'welfare state'. The "control" legislation on individual freedoms is also escalating. You have at least noticed that, haven't you?"

Please notice the bills which increase spending & gov't control.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum