Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it Islamic Terrorism or is it not

+2
Gomezz Adddams
Alleycat
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is it Islamic Terrorism or is it not - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it Islamic Terrorism or is it not

Post  Dr. Evil Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:43 am

I have no clue why I wasted my time looking this up, but I did.  From Perdue:

Moral Equivalence: This fallacy compares minor misdeeds with major atrocities:

That parking attendant who gave me a ticket is as bad as Hitler.

In this example, the author is comparing the relatively harmless actions of a person doing their job with the horrific actions of Hitler. This comparison is unfair and inaccurate

My comparison is of two identical things.  You're not even in the ballpark.  Try again.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/659/03/

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Is it Islamic Terrorism or is it not - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it Islamic Terrorism or is it not

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 am

Skeptical wrote:Are you prepared to provide proof Christians are doing things such as killing 12 people in a French publishing facility as done by Islamic terrorists?

Paquette wrote:Some better examples of Christian terrorists would be Lord's Resistance Army, Army of God, National Liberation Front of Tripura, etc.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 am

Paquette wrote:
Skeptical wrote:Are you prepared to provide proof Christians are doing things such as killing 12 people in a French publishing facility as done by Islamic terrorists?

Paquette wrote:Some better examples of Christian terrorists would be Lord's Resistance Army, Army of God, National Liberation Front of Tripura, etc.

Excuse him, he doesn't read so well.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 am

Now, before the knee jerk, straw man accusations start rolling in, I'm not bashing Christians, I'm bashing terrorists of all stripes. Pretending these Christian terrorists don't exist doesn't make them go away, speaking up does let people know that they don't represent me or my faith.

And I will join in the chorus saying these Christian terrorists are not following what I believe to be a true representation of Christ's word. That is also the argument that many Muslims make against Islamic terrorists, that they're following a twisted version of their faith.

I condemn Islamic terrorism. I condemn Christian terrorism. I condemn Buddhist terrorism. I condemn environmentalist terrorism. I condemn terrorism.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 am

Dr. Jones wrote:
Paquette wrote:

You will have to excuse me because I must have missed the recent and numerous news media reporting on the ever increasing killing and carnage being done almost daily by these groups.

IIRC the shooting of Dr. Barnett Slepian in 1998 by a whacko member of this group in 1998 is the only confirmed act of violence in your link.

I call on you to show those incidents of extreme violence and killing currently being done and/or in the recent past by The Army of God.  The frequency and severity of violence must be terrific for you to hold them up as comparison to the Islamic terrorists.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd and abnormal behavior to you that you are trying to justify the carnage being done by the Islamic terrorists in the name of the Prophet Mohammed by comparing them to the Army of God??
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:12 am

Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Paquette wrote:

You will have to excuse me because I must have missed the recent and numerous news media reporting on the ever increasing killing and carnage being done almost daily by these groups.

IIRC the shooting of Dr. Barnett Slepian in 1998 by a whacko member of this group in 1998 is the only confirmed act of violence in your link.

I call on you to show those incidents of extreme violence and killing currently being done and/or in the recent past by The Army of God.  The frequency and severity of violence must be terrific for you to hold them up as comparison to the Islamic terrorists.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd and abnormal behavior to you that you are trying to justify the carnage being done by the Islamic terrorists in the name of the Prophet Mohammed by comparing them to the Army of God??

What seems odd is your ludicrous assertion that I am trying to justify the carnage brought on by these members if the Islamic community.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 am

Skeptical wrote:IIRC the shooting of Dr. Barnett Slepian in 1998 by a whacko member of this group in 1998 is the only confirmed act of violence in your link.

There's no need to rely on your memory, the many acts of terrorism committed by members of this group are well documented in the link that you didn't read. You might also want to look at all the links that I provided.

Skeptical wrote:Doesn't it seem a bit odd and abnormal behavior to you that you are trying to justify the carnage being done by the Islamic terrorists in the name of the Prophet Mohammed by comparing them to the Army of God??

Paquette wrote:I condemn Islamic terrorism. I condemn Christian terrorism. I condemn Buddhist terrorism. I condemn environmentalist terrorism. I condemn terrorism.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am

Paquette wrote:
Skeptical wrote:IIRC the shooting of Dr. Barnett Slepian in 1998 by a whacko member of this group in 1998 is the only confirmed act of violence in your link.

There's no need to rely on your memory, the many acts of terrorism committed by members of this group are well documented in the link that you didn't read. You might also want to look at all the links that I provided.

I concede you think there has been and currently is sufficient killing and carnage by the Army of God for you to compare this group to the actions of the Islamic terrorist, my bad.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:40 am

Skeptical wrote:
Paquette wrote:

I concede you think there has been and currently is sufficient killing and carnage by the Army of God for you to compare this group to the actions of the Islamic terrorist, my bad.  

And I concede that you are still unwilling to look at the link, choose to focus on only that one group while ignoring the rest and ignore terrorist groups because they are smaller in scale.

Meanwhile I condemn ALL terrorist groups large and small and ALL terrorism while you actively avoid condemning certain terrorist groups. I guess it just depends on whether you're anti terrorism or just anti Islamic terrorism.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 am

Paquette wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Paquette wrote:

And I concede that you are still unwilling to look at the link, choose to focus on only that one group while ignoring the rest and ignore terrorist groups because they are smaller in scale.

Meanwhile I condemn ALL terrorist groups large and small and ALL terrorism while you actively avoid condemning certain terrorist groups. I guess it just depends on whether you're anti terrorism or just anti Islamic terrorism.

I read the links and agree all have done/doing terrible things but the use of these examples still falls into the realm of MORAL EQUIVALENCE  and just like when you were a youngster and got in trouble tried to invoke, "but Johnny did it too" seem out of place in a discussion of a specific event.

If you think it important enough to compare and discuss the relative effect of terrible terrorism such as the  9-11-2001 WTC attacks in comparison to, say for example the Spanish Inquisition, or how the groups you linked to compare in violence to the recent Paris attack then by all means begin one.  Just my opinion but your links to these other groups and activities would fit better there.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

One has to simply look at each religion's standard (Bible vs Quran) to determine which religion is truly the religion of peace. If you look at the actions of individuals since the documents were written, you are only looking at that: actions of what men did years later rather than the actions of the key person each religion is about (Jesus Christ or Mohammed).

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/023-violence.htm

Of course one can argue that the God in the Old Testament dictated violence as well, but I am talking about Jesus Christ, who in the New Testament preached peace and "turn the other cheek". The New Testament preaches peace and anyone who disagrees with that has obviously not read it.

What did Mohammed preach? Pretty much to kill infidels who didn't follow the "religion of peace"
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Skeptical wrote:I read the links and agree all have done/doing terrible things but the use of these examples still falls into the realm of MORAL EQUIVALENCE  and just like when you were a youngster and got in trouble tried to invoke, "but Johnny did it too" seem out of place in a discussion of a specific event.

If you think it important enough to compare and discuss the relative effect of terrible terrorism such as the  9-11-2001 WTC attacks in comparison to, say for example the Spanish Inquisition, or how the groups you linked to compare in violence to the recent Paris attack then by all means begin one.  Just my opinion but your links to these other groups and activities would fit better there.

I originally posted that list to show dr jones that his WBC example was a piss poor example of Christian terrorism. I posted it again when YOU asked for "proof Christians are doing things..."

If you don't want to discuss it, don't ask for proof.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty Houser Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Skeptical wrote:"but Johnny did it too"

That's a cute line but only if you continue to ignore what I have said:

I condemn Islamic terrorism. I condemn Christian terrorism. I condemn Buddhist terrorism. I condemn environmentalist terrorism. I condemn terrorism.

I have unequivocally condemned all acts of terrorism no matter the source yet you seem to be quite upset at the mere mention of Christian terrorism, even after YOU asked for proof that it exists.

Rusty Houser

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Paquette wrote:
Skeptical wrote:I read the links and agree all have done/doing terrible things but the use of these examples still falls into the realm of MORAL EQUIVALENCE  and just like when you were a youngster and got in trouble tried to invoke, "but Johnny did it too" seem out of place in a discussion of a specific event.

I originally posted that list to show dr jones that his WBC example was a piss poor example of Christian terrorism. I posted it again when YOU asked for "proof Christians are doing things..."

If you don't want to discuss it, don't ask for proof.

If delving into moral equivalence is that important to you then by all means begin a thread and that subject can be discussed on its own rather in one devoted to whether those who yell; "Allah Akbar" while killing should be termed Islamic terrorists or not.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2