Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio Shack Bankruptcy

+2
Alleycat
Caitlyn Piltover
6 posters

Go down

Radio Shack Bankruptcy Empty Radio Shack Bankruptcy

Post  Caitlyn Piltover Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Radio Shack Declares Bankruptcy
In Depth Look at RadioShack Decline

Under bankruptcy plan roughly half of RadioShack will survive, under new ownership -- the deal also brings Sprint to the table

I don't know how I feel about this as I haven't visited a Radio Shack in a while since their expert training has been let go from the late 90s to early 2000s but they just didn't evolve with the times sadly.
Caitlyn Piltover
Caitlyn Piltover

Back to top Go down

Radio Shack Bankruptcy Empty Re: Radio Shack Bankruptcy

Post  Alleycat Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I don't see much future for Radio Shack unless a real genius gets control of it. The radio and communications hobby has really changed in the last few years. CB radio has become a shadow of what it was. SWL (Short Wave Listening) Is slowly dying , The International Broadcasters are going to domestic Broadcasters usually FM stations. The what we call Utility bands use computers now. There is some activity on the Air bands. The HAM community has become smaller, those guys get most of their stuff from people like Universal Radio or MFJ. I have been a radio guy for many years but have mostly dropped SWL DXing and concentrate on MW (Domestic AM) DXing All that is needed is a very good AM radio like a Sangean, Kaito or CCrane receiver most cost from 50 to 100 bucks. So that leaves Radio Shack at the mercy of the "Stero Freaks". I would say Radio Shacks future looks rather dismal. I do all of my MW DXing with a Sangean PD-R15 ($85) or a CCRadio EP ($65) both will cover border to border and coast to coast including Canada and Mexico. It would take a hellofa Radio Shack radio to beat them.

Alleycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Caitlyn Piltover wrote:Radio Shack Declares Bankruptcy

Under bankruptcy plan roughly half of RadioShack will survive, under new ownership -- the deal also brings Sprint to the table

I don't know how I feel about this as I haven't visited a Radio Shack in a while since their expert training has been let go from the late 90s to early 2000s but they just didn't evolve with the times sadly.

One of the most beautiful things about the system of capitalism is bankruptcies. It weeds out the weak and dying companies and allows new more vibrant companies to take their place. Without bankruptcies, our economy would be littered with weak companies unable to compete in the world marketplace.

Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Jammer wrote:

One of the most beautiful things about the system of capitalism is bankruptcies.  It weeds out the weak and dying companies and allows new more vibrant companies to take their place.  Without bankruptcies, our economy would be littered with weak companies unable to compete in the world marketplace.

Another version of survival of the fittest. In my opinion they have the same one track sales mentality now as 40 years ago and the train just came along and bounced them off the track.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Skeptical wrote:
Jammer wrote:

One of the most beautiful things about the system of capitalism is bankruptcies.  It weeds out the weak and dying companies and allows new more vibrant companies to take their place.  Without bankruptcies, our economy would be littered with weak companies unable to compete in the world marketplace.

Another version of survival of the fittest.  In my opinion they have the same one track sales mentality now as 40 years ago and the train just came along and bounced them off the track.

You are 100% correct Skeptical. The survival of the fittest mentality is what drives innovation and makes companies GREAT. When crony capitalism enters the system, companies find it easier to rig the system for their advantage rather than to innovate and it will eventually kill them. That is why crony capitalism is so bad. It will literally kill the goose (capitalism) that laid the golden egg (prosperity for America).
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Alleycat Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 pm

It was/is not crony capitalism that has wrecked Radio Shack. It is the acceleration factor.

Alleycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Alleycat wrote:It was/is not crony capitalism  that has wrecked Radio Shack. It is the acceleration factor.

Alleycat, I don't think I said that anywhere. I said that bankruptcy was the methodology that cleanses weak or dying companies from the system and allows more vibrant companies to replace them. I don't think there is any question that Radio Shack was a weak and dying company.

Then in response to the comment about survival of the fittest is where I threw in the crony capitalism comment. I tied the survival of the fittest concept into what really drives innovation in the system of free market capitalism. I don't think I tied Radio Shack into the comment about crony capitalism at all and never intended to allude to that scenario. So, sorry if I misled you.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Alleycat Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Jammer wrote:
Alleycat wrote:It was/is not crony capitalism  that has wrecked Radio Shack. It is the acceleration factor.

Alleycat, I don't think I said that anywhere. I said that bankruptcy was the methodology that cleanses weak or dying companies from the system and allows more vibrant companies to replace them. I don't think there is any question that Radio Shack was a weak and dying company.

Then in response to the comment about survival of the fittest is where I threw in the crony capitalism comment. I tied the survival of the fittest concept into what really drives innovation in the system of free market capitalism. I don't think I tied Radio Shack into the comment about crony capitalism at all and never intended to allude to that scenario. So, sorry if I misled you.
Hey no problem I just made the comment that the aceleration factor got Radio Shack they did not keep up. Just like this fing computer. The acceleration factor is going to get it. Peace OK?

Alleycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Alleycat wrote:
Jammer wrote:

Alleycat, I don't think I said that anywhere.  I said that bankruptcy was the methodology that cleanses weak or dying companies from the system and allows more vibrant companies to replace them.  I don't think there is any question that Radio Shack was a weak and dying company.

Then in response to the comment about survival of the fittest is where I threw in the crony capitalism comment.  I tied the survival of the fittest concept into what really drives innovation in the system of free market capitalism.  I don't think I tied Radio Shack into the comment about crony capitalism at all and never intended to allude to that scenario.  So, sorry if I misled you.
Hey no problem I just made the comment that the aceleration factor got Radio Shack they did not keep up. Just like this fing computer. The acceleration factor is going to get it. Peace OK?

YUP Smile
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 am

Jammer wrote:

Oh, come on, where's your empathy for Radio Shack?
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:13 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
Jammer wrote:

Oh, come on, where's your empathy for Radio Shack?

Haven't you heard, us conservatives don't have any empathy.   Sad
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Clicker Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm am electronics tech by trade and I used to count on them for components and advice etc. They no longer stock the parts that I used and have become a cell phone dealer and RC car store at Christmas. I only go there when I know they have what i want and never count on the clerks to actually know their stock etc. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they have.
Clicker
Clicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Alleycat Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:41 am

Clicker wrote:I'm am electronics tech by trade and I used to count on them for components and advice etc. They no longer stock the parts that I used and have become a cell phone dealer and RC car store at Christmas. I only go there when I know they have what i want and never count on the clerks to actually know their stock etc. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they have.
Xzactly. I don't go there for Radio stuff anymore.

Alleycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down