Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CARnage in Oklahoma City

+3
Just Braying It
Darth Cheney
Skeptical
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CARnage in Oklahoma City - Page 2 Empty Re: CARnage in Oklahoma City

Post  Gomezz Adddams Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:
Clicker wrote:Years ago (1969) I had an experience in Anaheim, Ca.  I'd been in a bar all nite with friends and was too drunk to drive so I sacked out in the back seat.  A cop starts beating on my car and informed me that it was illegal to sleep in my car in the parking lot.  So I got in the passenger seat and read a book which prompted another cop to tell me I couldn't do that either.  I got out of the car and sat on a bus bench and the cop took me in for public drunk.  I passed the breath test since it had been 4hrs since I'd had a drink, and they had to let me go.  My son the cop years later told me that it was common practice in some areas to try and get the drunk in the driver seat and bust him.  Just lucky I guess.

The Grand Poobah will NOT be pleased...

If you're referring to me, I don't know why I would be pissed since Clicker's story certainly presents an example of probable cause. In Clicker's case the police were essentially enforcing public nuisance laws. They could also have done a welfare check to make sure he wasn't injured, hurt or in need of assistance. Of course upon smelling alcohol (or other drugs) they now have probable cause. Also in many states sleeping in a car or even being in a car with the keys can be considered in care and control of a vehicle making you subject to DUI laws even without the car being driven.
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 pm

BS.  I don't know if your being purposely obtuse or just simply don't know any better, but probable cause(or more accurately reasonable suspicion, which has a much lower standard) is an easily manipulated directive when cop wants a closer look.  Everyone leaving the bar appears intoxicated, "I saw you drop your keys when you left the bar, you been drinking?"  "You had your brights on as you crossed the parking lot, you been drinking?"  "Your license plate is a little dirty, you been drinking?"  These are all games that they play, whether you choose to acknowledge them or not.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:20 am

Hmm, Charley Brown Syndrome??
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:40 am

In the decision of Terry vs. Ohio, which has set the benchmark of precedence in traffic stops (Terry Stop) for nearly the last fifty years,  the SCOTUS ruled that a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being, or may be committed is reason enough to not only stop a person for questioning but also frisk that individual for a gun if the officer feels that the individual poses a threat.  In this case the officer observed the individuals intently looking in windows of businesses.  He felt that there was a good chance they were casing the places for a possible robbery.  Although there wasn't suficient evidence of probable cause for an arrest, there was a reasonable suspicion to stop the individuals to ask a few questions.  As you can see, probable cause isn't necessary in a traffic stop,  but it is necessary in an arrest.

In the case of a DUI, finding reasonable suspicion is not a problem when someone is leaving a bar late at night.  Once you have them for questioning,  probable cause is very easy to find if they have in fact been drinking.

The court distinguished between an investigatory "stop" and an arrest...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/392/1

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:02 am

Skeptical wrote:

Still got jokes I see.... Look up the phrase "Terry Stop" and see if you're still as funny as you think you are you flippin idiot.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:BS.  I don't know if your being purposely obtuse or just simply don't know any better, but probable cause(or more accurately reasonable suspicion, which has a much lower standard) is an easily manipulated directive when cop wants a closer look.  Everyone leaving the bar appears intoxicated, "I saw you drop your keys when you left the bar, you been drinking?"  "You had your brights on as you crossed the parking lot, you been drinking?"  "Your license plate is a little dirty, you been drinking?"  These are all games that they play, whether you choose to acknowledge them or not.

Do you think members of this forum should thank you for telling the various reasons given you were stopped after coming out of a bar late at night?

Perhaps there is some truth about "confession is good for the soul".

Do you feel better?

Last edited by Skeptical on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

Still got jokes I see.... Look up the phrase "Terry Stop" and see if you're still as funny as you think you are you flippin idiot.

WOW, I have seen open and public hostility in my long lifetime but never this vicious.

You really should be attending your anger management classes.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

WOW, I have seen open and public hostility in my long lifetime but never this vicious.

I dunno, seems pretty tame as compared to calling someone a fukcstick. Maybe you're not looking hard enough.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

I dunno, seems pretty tame as compared to calling someone a fukcstick.  Maybe you're not looking hard enough.

Yepper, you go into your favorite .. or any available bar for a few and come out late, lo and behold there in the parking lot is the friendly policeman watching people leave.

time for jonsey to utter his favorite phrases

"He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me"
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Clicker Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Clicker wrote:Years ago (1969) I had an experience in Anaheim, Ca.  I'd been in a bar all nite with friends and was too drunk to drive so I sacked out in the back seat.  A cop starts beating on my car and informed me that it was illegal to sleep in my car in the parking lot.  So I got in the passenger seat and read a book which prompted another cop to tell me I couldn't do that either.  I got out of the car and sat on a bus bench and the cop took me in for public drunk.  I passed the breath test since it had been 4hrs since I'd had a drink, and they had to let me go.  My son the cop years later told me that it was common practice in some areas to try and get the drunk in the driver seat and bust him.  Just lucky I guess.

The Grand Poobah will NOT be pleased...

If you're referring to me, I don't know why I would be pissed since Clicker's story certainly presents an example of probable cause.  In Clicker's case the police were essentially enforcing public nuisance laws. They could also have done a welfare check to make sure he wasn't injured, hurt or in need of assistance. Of course upon smelling alcohol (or other drugs) they now have probable cause. Also in many states sleeping in a car or even being in a car with the keys can be considered in care and control of a vehicle making you subject to DUI laws even without the car being driven.

I forgot to mention that the keys were not with me. The bar owner had a policy of taking peoples keys, with permission, and holding them till the cleanup crew arrived at 6 a/m. Also, in Calif at the time, the cop had to "put you behind the wheel" to drag you in for a DUI. To this day people were beating photo radar tickets because the cops couldn't prove who was driving the car.
Clicker
Clicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

I dunno, seems pretty tame as compared to calling someone a fukcstick.  Maybe you're not looking hard enough.

Yepper, you go into your favorite .. or any available bar for a few and come out late, lo and behold there in the parking lot is the friendly policeman watching people leave.

"He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

How about you cut it with your foolishness and get back to your comparison of gun and DUI deaths. That seemed much more productive.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

"He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

How about you cut it with your foolishness and get back to your comparison of gun and DUI deaths.  That seemed much more productive.

Judging by your response I'd say I am being productive.

How long have you been the cause of the persecution complex you exhibit?
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

"He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

How about you cut it with your foolishness and get back to your comparison of gun and DUI deaths.  That seemed much more productive.

I guess if you consider a circle jerk to be productive...

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:
Dr. Jones wrote:
Skeptical wrote:

"He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

I guess if you consider a circle jerk to be productive...

Is that how you spend most of your time.. being the pivot person??
Who would have guessed??
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2