Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards

3 posters

Go down

Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards  Empty Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards

Post  Skeptical Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Army lifts ban on waivers for recruits with history of some mental health issues

WASHINGTON – People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

The decision to open Army recruiting to those with mental health conditions comes as the service faces the challenging goal of recruiting 80,000 new soldiers through September 2018. To meet last year's goal of 69,000, the Army accepted more recruits who fared poorly on aptitude tests, increased the number of waivers granted for marijuana use and offered hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses.

Expanding the waivers for mental health is possible in part because the Army now has access to more medical information about each potential recruit, Lt. Col. Randy Taylor, an Army spokesman, said in a statement. The Army issued the ban on waivers in 2009 amid an epidemic of suicides among troops.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/12/army-lifts-ban-recruits-history-self-mutilation-other-mental-health-issues/853131001/

Can't see a whole lot of positives here, hope Mattis puts the brakes on this.

Wonder how many will connect the dots? We have had several mass shootings in recent years, Immediately after each one there is a renewed call for two things:
1. Ban assault weapons
2. Increase in mental healhcare

So now we are going to give access to assault weapons to people with known mental health problems????????????????????????????
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards  Empty Re: Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards

Post  Dr. Evil Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Agreed. Bowe Bergdahl should have been enough. I'm no military man, but make no mistake if there were a battle to be fought right here on American soil, I'd be right there beside the soldiers in my work jeans. But right now today, I wouldn't touch the military with a 10 ft pole. Especially with Dolt 45 in office. I think people are a bit weary of serving. Between the 20 year pooch screw in the Middle East and the fact that our military has become a political mascot for the right, it's pretty hard for people to get excited about military service IMO. So they're forced to do things like this.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards  Empty Re: Army Lowers (Abolishes?) Recruiting Standards

Post  Dr. Evil Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

I don't think we can overlook the general politicization of the armed forces as being a reason for poor enrollment. Not just the right's hard on for war, or their use of dropping bombs to score political points, but just politicization. I guess they really go hand in hand. For example, the NFL debacle. That had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag, and surely not the military. And yet our soldiers were brought into it anyways. Dissent is something that should be celebrated by the members of our military. At least when is for a legitimate cause, as it was in this case. Nobody wants to be told how to think, nor do they want to be spoken for by people who have no idea what they're talking about. Unfortunately the right has done just that in many situations.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Clicker Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

Dr. Evil wrote:I don't think we can overlook the general politicization of the armed forces as being a reason for poor enrollment. Not just the right's hard on for war, or their use of dropping bombs to score political points, but just politicization. I guess they really go hand in hand. For example, the NFL debacle. That had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag, and surely not the military. And yet our soldiers were brought into it anyways. Dissent is something that should be celebrated by the members of our military. At least when is for a legitimate cause, as it was in this case. Nobody wants to be told how to think, nor do they want to be spoken for by people who have no idea what they're talking about. Unfortunately the right has done just that in many situations.

Since you never served you can't possibly understand the band of brothers that is formed by the military experience. The discipline learned by teamwork is not clearly understood by loony libs. It is understood by the NFL however. That discipline is eroding in the NFL and it is showing. The great majority of Americans see disrespecting the flag by using its pledge or the singing of the national anthem as a disrespectful act toward the flag. You will not be able to actually redirect that sentiment only make your attempts to do so a negative on your own head.
Clicker
Clicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Clicker wrote:
Dr. Evil wrote:I don't think we can overlook the general politicization of the armed forces as being a reason for poor enrollment. Not just the right's hard on for war, or their use of dropping bombs to score political points, but just politicization. I guess they really go hand in hand. For example, the NFL debacle. That had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag, and surely not the military. And yet our soldiers were brought into it anyways. Dissent is something that should be celebrated by the members of our military. At least when is for a legitimate cause, as it was in this case. Nobody wants to be told how to think, nor do they want to be spoken for by people who have no idea what they're talking about. Unfortunately the right has done just that in many situations.

Since you never served you can't possibly understand the band of brothers that is formed by the military experience. .

EXCELLENT POINT, and this bond is not just confined to the  members of the same squad, unit or branch of military service even though those bonds are the strongest.  The bond is also present when members of the several branches happen to be in the same area such as an airport or joint service facility.
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Clicker Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Visit any service related group, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion etc and you'll get an earful of what most of the country thinks is disrespect. The libs are starting their drumbeat trying to deflect the truth of the disrespect but it isn't going to work. Only in the festering cesspool of the liberal mind...............
Clicker
Clicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down