Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

$6.2 Trillion????

+2
Darth Cheney
BladeRunner
6 posters

Go down

$6.2 Trillion???? Empty $6.2 Trillion????

Post  BladeRunner Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am

BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

$6.2 Trillion???? Empty Re: $6.2 Trillion????

Post  Darth Cheney Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

Think of all the poorly educated democrat voters/welfare recipients we will get...that is priceless while using other people's money.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

Darth Cheney wrote:Think of all the poorly educated democrat voters/welfare recipients we will get...that is priceless while using other people's money.

And think of all the [non Biblical] social justice we will achieve with all that money!
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm

6.2. OK. Seems like a lot. Anybody know what the net costs turned out to be when Reagan granted amnesty to the 3-million (eventually about 11-million) illegals? Or did it turn out to be a net gain for the country.

From the link:

"Stephen Moore, an economist and Wall Street Journal writer, said many economists challenge the notion that immigrants are a net cost to the country. He told Fox News despite the Heritage findings, there are other studies showing the legalization will be an economic boon that could grow the economy -- in turn alleviating the country's deficit problem.

"You've got to look at both sides of the equation," Moore said. "Yes, the immigrants will use benefits, no question about that, but as they become more productive citizens and they come out of the shadows, a lot of economists -- myself included -- think they'll become more productive and they'll pay more taxes."

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., a key co-author of the legislation, has also stressed that illegal immigrants applying for legal status would not have access to federal benefits while they are applying. After obtaining a green card, they would still be ineligible for many federal benefits for five years."

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Forever Mon May 06, 2013 1:31 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:

6.2. OK. Seems like a lot. Anybody know what the net costs turned out to be when Reagan granted amnesty to the 3-million (eventually about 11-million) illegals? Or did it turn out to be a net gain for the country.

From the link:

"Stephen Moore, an economist and Wall Street Journal writer, said many economists challenge the notion that immigrants are a net cost to the country. He told Fox News despite the Heritage findings, there are other studies showing the legalization will be an economic boon that could grow the economy -- in turn alleviating the country's deficit problem.

"You've got to look at both sides of the equation," Moore said. "Yes, the immigrants will use benefits, no question about that, but as they become more productive citizens and they come out of the shadows, a lot of economists -- myself included -- think they'll become more productive and they'll pay more taxes."

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., a key co-author of the legislation, has also stressed that illegal immigrants applying for legal status would not have access to federal benefits while they are applying. After obtaining a green card, they would still be ineligible for many federal benefits for five years."

Funny how increased tax revenues automatically mean economic prosperity. I'm all for taxing them, I just don't buy into the assumption.
Freedom Forever
Freedom Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:

From the link:

You keep repeating how Reagen granted amnesty...I assume then that Obama can also grant amnesty and if he fails will be another example of his failed administration. Please expand on my statement and why Obama doesn't just grant amnesty and bypass the Congress. (DA)
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Mon May 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:

From the link:

You keep repeating how Reagen granted amnesty...I assume then that Obama can also grant amnesty and if he fails will be another example of his failed administration. Please expand on my statement and why Obama doesn't just grant amnesty and bypass the Congress. (DA)

That didn't work for Reagan. I don't think it would work now, either. The current plan, even with the kinks, is much better.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Freedom Forever wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:

From the link:

Funny how increased tax revenues automatically mean economic prosperity. I'm all for taxing them, I just don't buy into the assumption.

and the reverse works too.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:

From the link:

That didn't work for Reagan. I don't think it would work now, either. The current plan, even with the kinks, is much better.

The point was, according to you, that Reagen granted amnesty and the question is why doesn't Obama grant amnesty?
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

"Stephen Moore, an economist and Wall Street Journal writer, said many economists challenge the notion that immigrants are a net cost to the country. He told Fox News despite the Heritage findings, there are other studies showing the legalization will be an economic boon that could grow the economy -- in turn alleviating the country's deficit problem."

While I typically agree with much of what Stephen Moore says, I believe he is wrong in his comments. We are already reaping many of the benefits of illegal aliens working in the US. The underground economy, where many of the illegals work, has been calculated to be contributing over $2T to the economy and may very well be keeping the country afloat. While illegals may not be taxed on their incomes they still are paying local sales taxes, gas taxes and property taxes when they rent property. Moore is in effect counting the so called "boon" twice

Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Darth Cheney wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:

From the link:

The point was, according to you, that Reagen granted amnesty and the question is why doesn't Obama grant amnesty?

No, the point was the $6.2. It's the thread title.
I asked: "Anybody know what the net costs turned out to be when Reagan granted amnesty to the 3-million (eventually about 11-million) illegals? Or did it turn out to be a net gain for the country."
Do you know? I don't know if any studies were ever done on that. Do you?

In answer to your question about Obama not granting that same "no-strings-attached" amnesty, as I said before, "That didn't work for Reagan. I don't think it would work now, either. The current plan, even with the kinks, is much better."
Do you prefer the old failed method? I sure don't.

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Gomezz Adddams Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 pm

According to a 1997 report by the Center for Immigration Studies, the cost of amnesty for 2.7 million illegal immigrants had accumulated to $156.7 billion (in 1986 dollars!) by 1997. The net cost after $78 billion in tax collections was $78.7 billion dollars. This amounts to a subsidy per amnestied illegal of $29,148 in 1986 dollars, which is an important indirect subsidy for the employers of illegal workers. But U.S. workers paid the highest price. The 1986 amnesty displaced 1,872,000 American workers over the next decade. This and downward pressure on American wages are not adequately accounted for in the report. In fact, downward pressure on U.S. worker income may be the largest cost to the American economy of amnesty and excess immigration levels.

http://conservativetimes.org/?p=10638

Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

Post  pse1124 Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 pm

When illegals become legal, the sudden surge in workers into a legal workforce will raise unemployment levels to previously unheard of levels. This will cause the wages to plummett. I thought liberals wanted to lower unemployment and raise wages. This will do the oppositte of that. How would that be a "boon" for the economy again?
pse1124
pse1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth Cheney Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

pse1124 wrote:When illegals become legal, the sudden surge in workers into a legal workforce will raise unemployment levels to previously unheard of levels. This will cause the wages to plummett. I thought liberals wanted to lower unemployment and raise wages. This will do the oppositte of that. How would that be a "boon" for the economy again?

Cloward - Piven

Once you collapse the economy people will run to the government with open arms begging for government help. They will also openly accept communism and shed their liberty and freedom for alleged security. It is the dream of the Godless, Liberal/Marxist/Communist.
Darth Cheney
Darth Cheney

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

pse1124 wrote:When illegals become legal, the sudden surge in workers into a legal workforce will raise unemployment levels to previously unheard of levels. This will cause the wages to plummett. I thought liberals wanted to lower unemployment and raise wages. This will do the oppositte of that. How would that be a "boon" for the economy again?

Doesn't matter.

Our Democrat government is beholden to them. They did elect the object of their worship--Barack Hussein Obama.

Besides, it's all part of the Social Justice plan. The plan that's laid out in the Bible. Oh...wait.......
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Gomezz Adddams wrote:"Stephen Moore, an economist and Wall Street Journal writer, said many economists challenge the notion that immigrants are a net cost to the country. He told Fox News despite the Heritage findings, there are other studies showing the legalization will be an economic boon that could grow the economy -- in turn alleviating the country's deficit problem."

While I typically agree with much of what Stephen Moore says, I believe he is wrong in his comments. We are already reaping many of the benefits of illegal aliens working in the US. The underground economy, where many of the illegals work, has been calculated to be contributing over $2T to the economy and may very well be keeping the country afloat. While illegals may not be taxed on their incomes they still are paying local sales taxes, gas taxes and property taxes when they rent property. Moore is in effect counting the so called "boon" twice

Interesting points. There is no indication that Moore is counting the boon twice. But, there is no indication that he is not. It would be interesting to see the studies he referenced. I found no source or link to that in the Fox report.

We also have no way of knowing how much of the "underground economy" includes illegals.
Yes, they are currently paying "local sales taxes, gas taxes and property taxes", etc.
(lol - just like the infamous "47%").

PSE1124 - If you look at the current plan, you will see that there won't be that "sudden surge" you mentioned, this time. The time length of the "path" will vary considerably. (such as military service = shorter time)

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  pse1124 Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 am

RedWhiteBlue wrote:
Gomezz Adddams wrote:"Stephen Moore, an economist and Wall Street Journal writer, said many economists challenge the notion that immigrants are a net cost to the country. He told Fox News despite the Heritage findings, there are other studies showing the legalization will be an economic boon that could grow the economy -- in turn alleviating the country's deficit problem."

Even if you spread out 20 million (nobody knows how many, but its more than 11 million) over 13 years, and add to it their family that they will be allowed to bring into the country, it still is a "surge". Do you think this economy can handle an additional 20 million + into the workforce over 13 years and not have huge unemployment?

Interesting points. There is no indication that Moore is counting the boon twice. But, there is no indication that he is not. It would be interesting to see the studies he referenced. I found no source or link to that in the Fox report.

We also have no way of knowing how much of the "underground economy" includes illegals.
Yes, they are currently paying "local sales taxes, gas taxes and property taxes", etc.

PSE1124 - If you look at the current plan, you will see that there won't be that "sudden surge" you mentioned, this time. The time length of the "path" will vary considerably. (such as military service = shorter time)
pse1124
pse1124

Back to top Go down

Post  RedWhiteBlue Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 pm

pse1124 wrote:
RedWhiteBlue wrote:

Did you intend to respond here?

RedWhiteBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Forever Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

I've had one of my responses disappear too. A glitch in the matrix? perhaps
Freedom Forever
Freedom Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down