Just Saying It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared

+2
Gomezz Adddams
Skeptical
6 posters

Go down

EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared Empty EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared

Post  Skeptical Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:39 pm

CNN)—The mustard hue of the Animas River in Colorado -- the most visible effect of a mistake by the Environmental Protection Agency that dumped millions of gallons of pollutants into the water -- is striking.

Just a glance at a photo of the orange-yellowish slush is enough to know that something seems wrong. Scientists will have to say just how wrong, and possibly dangerous, the contamination is, though five days after the spill answers are few.

Just how polluted is the river? Is drinking water in peril? Are businesses dependent on the river out of luck?

One question that has been answered is the size of the spill: more than triple than originally estimated. The U.S. Geological Survey reported the size of the spill to be more than 3 million gallons, compared with the initial EPA estimate of 1 million gallons.

The EPA, which caused the accidental release of the contaminants Wednesday, said it continues to monitor the river.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/index.html

FARMINGTON, N.M. — Officials from the Environmental Protection Agency said Sunday that the Gold King Mine discharged an estimated 3 million gallons of contaminated water, three times the amount previously believed.

The mine continues to discharge 500 gallons per minute, EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath said in a teleconference call Sunday afternoon, but the polluted water is being contained and treated in two ponds by the site of the spill near Silverton, Colo.

According to preliminary testing data the EPA released Sunday, arsenic levels in the Durango area of the Animas River were, at their peak, 300 times the normal level, and lead was 3,500 times the normal level. Officials said those levels have dropped significantly since the plume moved through the area.

Both metals pose a significant danger to humans at high levels of concentration.

"Yes, those numbers are high and they seem scary," said Deborah McKean, chief of the Region 8 Toxicology and Human Health and Risk Assessment. "But it's not just a matter of toxicity of the chemicals, it's a matter of exposure."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/09/navajo-nation-epa-spill/31384515/

Where oh where is the outrage from the HMWAIC MT suit??

Not going to happen .. the EPA is crucial to his agenda.

Last edited by Skeptical on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared Empty Re: EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared

Post  Gomezz Adddams Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:50 pm

All 3M gallons are headed for the Grand Canyon. affraid
Gomezz Adddams
Gomezz Adddams

Back to top Go down

EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared Empty Re: EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared

Post  BladeRunner Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Something tells me that the EPA won't be blamed for this, but evil industrialization and it's evil brother, capitalism, will be blamed.
BladeRunner
BladeRunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Just another LIBERAL SIN
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Braying It Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Skeptical wrote:

CNN)—The mustard hue of the Animas River in Colorado -- the most visible effect of a mistake by the Environmental Protection Agency that dumped millions of gallons of pollutants into the water -- is striking.

Just a glance at a photo of the orange-yellowish slush is enough to know that something seems wrong. Scientists will have to say just how wrong, and possibly dangerous, the contamination is, though five days after the spill answers are few.

Just how polluted is the river? Is drinking water in peril? Are businesses dependent on the river out of luck?

One question that has been answered is the size of the spill: more than triple than originally estimated. The U.S. Geological Survey reported the size of the spill to be more than 3 million gallons, compared with the initial EPA estimate of 1 million gallons.

The EPA, which caused the accidental release of the contaminants Wednesday, said it continues to monitor the river.

FARMINGTON, N.M. — Officials from the Environmental Protection Agency said Sunday that the Gold King Mine discharged an estimated 3 million gallons of contaminated water, three times the amount previously believed.

The mine continues to discharge 500 gallons per minute, EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath said in a teleconference call Sunday afternoon, but the polluted water is being contained and treated in two ponds by the site of the spill near Silverton, Colo.

According to preliminary testing data the EPA released Sunday, arsenic levels in the Durango area of the Animas River were, at their peak, 300 times the normal level, and lead was 3,500 times the normal level. Officials said those levels have dropped significantly since the plume moved through the area.

Both metals pose a significant danger to humans at high levels of concentration.

"Yes, those numbers are high and they seem scary," said Deborah McKean, chief of the Region 8 Toxicology and Human Health and Risk Assessment. "But it's not just a matter of toxicity of the chemicals, it's a matter of exposure."

I request that you name and cite all environmental agencies you have worked for before I read your biased articles.

Just Braying It

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Skeptical wrote:

Were you there?  Did you see it?

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

EPA: Pollution from mine spill much worse than feared Empty Gold mine's toxic plume extends to Utah

Post  Skeptical Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Joshua Kellogg, The (Farmington, N.M.) Daily Times 4:09 p.m. EDT August 10, 2015

FARMINGTON, N.M. — The plume of heavy metals released last week into the Animas River from the Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colo., is now in Utah.

Evan O'Keefe, supervisor with the San Juan County Geographical Information Systems department, estimated this morning that the plume, which is now in the San Juan River, is about three hours south of Aneth, Utah.

The plume of toxic waste passed through San Juan County on Saturday. From Silverton, it traveled along the Animas River and flowed into the San Juan River at the confluence in Farmington. It is continuing west in the San Juan, which is a tributary that feeds into the Colorado River.

One rural water user association in the county has spent thousands of dollars buying water from Farmington and Aztec because it had to shut down its wells after the toxic mine waste spilled into the Animas last week.

"We don't want to take a chance of contaminating them — and it sure has cost us a lot of money," said Rick Mitchell, Flora Vista Mutual Domestic Water Association general manager.

Mustard-colored water loaded with heavy metals, including arsenic, lead, copper, aluminum and cadmium, began rushing out of the Gold King Mine in southern Colorado on Wednesday after an EPA team disturbed a dam of loose rock lodged in the mine.

The deluge of polluted water poured into Cement Creek and continued into the Animas River. The plume of pollution, clearly visible from the air and estimated to be more than 80 miles long at one point, reached Farmington, New Mexico on Saturday morning.

The Gold King Mine's discharge raises the possibility of long-term damage from the toxic metals falling out of suspension as the plume slowly moved along the river.

"Sediment does settle," said EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath. "It settles down to the bottom of the river bed."

McGrath said future runoff from storms will kick that toxic sediment back into the water, which means there will need to be long-term monitoring.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31399517/
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Skeptical wrote:

Joshua Kellogg, The (Farmington, N.M.) Daily Times 4:09 p.m. EDT August 10, 2015

FARMINGTON, N.M. — The plume of heavy metals released last week into the Animas River from the Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colo., is now in Utah.

Evan O'Keefe, supervisor with the San Juan County Geographical Information Systems department, estimated this morning that the plume, which is now in the San Juan River, is about three hours south of Aneth, Utah.

The plume of toxic waste passed through San Juan County on Saturday. From Silverton, it traveled along the Animas River and flowed into the San Juan River at the confluence in Farmington. It is continuing west in the San Juan, which is a tributary that feeds into the Colorado River.

One rural water user association in the county has spent thousands of dollars buying water from Farmington and Aztec because it had to shut down its wells after the toxic mine waste spilled into the Animas last week.

"We don't want to take a chance of contaminating them — and it sure has cost us a lot of money," said Rick Mitchell, Flora Vista Mutual Domestic Water Association general manager.

Mustard-colored water loaded with heavy metals, including arsenic, lead, copper, aluminum and cadmium, began rushing out of the Gold King Mine in southern Colorado on Wednesday after an EPA team disturbed a dam of loose rock lodged in the mine.

The deluge of polluted water poured into Cement Creek and continued into the Animas River. The plume of pollution, clearly visible from the air and estimated to be more than 80 miles long at one point, reached Farmington, New Mexico on Saturday morning.

The Gold King Mine's discharge raises the possibility of long-term damage from the toxic metals falling out of suspension as the plume slowly moved along the river.

"Sediment does settle," said EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath. "It settles down to the bottom of the river bed."

McGrath said future runoff from storms will kick that toxic sediment back into the water, which means there will need to be long-term monitoring.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31399517/

Have your ever lived in the effected area? Which towns or along which rivers? What years? What color was the water when you were there?

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeptical Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:28 pm

According to the EPA, the spill occurred when one of its teams was using heavy equipment to enter the Gold King Mine, a suspended mine near Durango. Instead of entering the mine and beginning the process of pumping and treating the contaminated water inside as planned, the team accidentally caused it to flow into the nearby Animas River.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

Isn't the EPA 100% honest and trustworthy ??
Skeptical
Skeptical

Back to top Go down

Post  Jammer Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Skeptical wrote:

According to the EPA, the spill occurred when one of its teams was using heavy equipment to enter the Gold King Mine, a suspended mine near Durango. Instead of entering the mine and beginning the process of pumping and treating the contaminated water inside as planned, the team accidentally caused it to flow into the nearby Animas River.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

Isn't the EPA 100% honest and trustworthy ??

Nope - Ambidextrous Jones has a valid point for a change. I know, I am surprised also.
Jammer
Jammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Evil Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 pm

I say they pour a few hundred thousand gallons of whatever they put in the biffies(may need a spell check on that one, I'm sure you'll let me know Suspect ) at the County Fair into the river. If that stuff can keep those clean and smelling fresh, a little yellow water should be no problem.

Dr. Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down